Basque, Rioja to Biscay
With its pristine coastline dotted with quaint seaside villages, rolling hills blanketed in emerald forests, and imposing mountain ranges, the Spanish Basque Country is a natural wonder.
When to go
May - Oct
From the moment you touch down in Spain, everything is included so that while you are with us you can forget about your wallet, relax and enjoy your time in the Basque Country.
- Journey off the beaten track, by bike, and on foot from Rioja Alavesa to the shores of the Bay of Biscay.
- Discover the region’s much lauded gastronomy, meeting the producers of fine wines and cheeses, sharing plates of pintxos.
- Visit ‘Pais Vasco’, a unique and resilient community who have maintained their own distinct language and culture.
- Stay in unique guest houses, often entertained by fascinating hosts.
- Accompanied by expert guides enjoy our customary attention to detail. You will never be better cared for on holiday.
ON THE MOVE
On hybrid e-bikes, we will cover between 20 - 60 kms per day. The cycling, suitable for almost all levels of cyclist, consists mainly of very quiet tarmac backroads, with the occasional gravel road.
MEET virginia, YOUR guide
Charming Virginia is one of the best Spanish female triathletes of all time. But she has recently retired, slowed down and now loves using her bike to seek out the very best food & wine experiences for our guests.
Rioja to Biscay
We designed our Spanish Basque Country experience to be a 5-night immersion in northern Spain. Below is the itinerary, although it can easily be offered as a 6-night journey too.
Morning cycle 30km – Afternoon cycle 7km
We start the day on the bikes, meandering along the River Lea towards the sea. After negotiating a few climbs and descents along the undulating hills of the Basque coastline, we arrive at the small seaside town of Ea. We’ll have a celebratory drink at a lookout point overlooking the sea, nestled between the rugged cliffs, before walking back into town to enjoy a well deserved lunch and a leisurely afternoon, enjoying the beach and swimming in the sea. Late in the afternoon we get back on the bikes one last time to make the short journey to our guest house, a special place with very special hosts.
HOW TO BOOK
There are two ways to travel with us. You can either travel on a set-date Scheduled Journey or put together your own private party.
MAKE NEW FRIENDS
A wonderful opportunity to explore a fascinating part of the world, to meet like-minded travellers and make new friends in a group of Slow Cyclists assembled by us.